Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices becomes applicable in the European Union today, 26 May 2021.
The Medical Device Regulation (MDR), which was adopted in April 2017, changes the European legal framework for medical devices and introduces new principal and supportive responsibilities for EMA and for national competent authorities in the assessment of certain categories of products. The Regulation entered into force in May 2017 and had a staggered transitional period.
The MDR introduces new or revised responsibilities for EMA for:
medicines with an integral device, such as pre-filled syringes and pens, and pre-filled inhalers;medical devices containing an ancillary medicinal substance to support the proper functioning of the device. Examples include drug-eluting stents, bone cement containing an antibiotic, catheters coated with heparin or an antibiotic agent and condoms coated with spermicides;medical devices made from substances that are absorbed by the human body to achieve their intended purpose;borderline products for which there is uncertainty over which regulatory framework applies. Common borderlines are between medicinal products, medical devices, cosmetics, biocidal products, herbal medicines and food supplements.
For further details, see Medical devices.
EMA has worked closely with the European Commission, the national competent authorities, notified bodies and with stakeholders from the pharmaceutical and medical device industries, to ensure a smooth transition to the new regulatory framework.
To support the implementation of the MDR, updated guidance on quality requirements for medical devices in human medicines that include a medical device, as well as an updated Q&A, are currently under preparation and will be published shortly.
The MDR replaces the existing Directives for medical devices (93/42/EEC and 90/385/EEC). The Regulation on in vitro diagnostic medical devices, which also came into force in May 2017, will replace Directive 98/79/EC when it comes into application on 26 May 2022.
Crunchbase and East-West Digital News are teaming up to cover key tech and venture trends from Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus, with a quarterly review by EWDN Chief Editor Adrien Henni highlighting the most notable industry facts and trends across the region. More than with tech innovations, Russia made the news this past summer by staging…
Last month Moscow-based Smart Driving Labs presented its concept of connected vehicle for urban public transport. The solution reportedly “involves the installation of telematics modules with a set of sensor equipment on buses and minibuses and connection via a cellular network to a cloud platform.” The system will allow public transport companies to collect real-time data on movement, speed, sharp…
On October 17, Russia’s Team Spirit triumphantly lifted the Aegis of Champions. The team of five youngsters – the oldest of them only 23 years of age – looked somewhat out of place, dwarfed by Romania’s biggest stadium. The International 10 is no ordinary sporting event: it is the world championship for multiplayer online battle…
ITALY NEWS: Photo Credit: Times Now New Delhi – Vincenzo De…
ITALY NEWS: Italian gas group Snam logo is seen outside…
Most Popular Articles on dWeb.News
- CANADA NEWS: Tyler Joe Miller, Canada’s next big country singer is the winner of SiriusXM’s Top of the Country award and $25,000
- Paris to Berlin in an hour by train? Here’s how it could happen.
- TECH NEWS: ‘Creativity needs energy’: Why a TBWANEBOKO exec believes a return to the office will save agency culture
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Introducing Meta: A Social Technology Company
- Nocturnal dinosaurs: Night vision and superb hearing in a small theropod suggest it was a moonlight predator
- FRANCE NEWS: Nigeria-France: Prince Arthur Eze sold land to TotalEnergies, Anambra – The Africa Report
- Sports: Veteran MMA fighter Kyle Reyes dead at 30; Xtreme Couture and beyond mourns
- BUSINESS: First Watch Restaurant Group, Inc. Announces Pricing Of Initial Public Offering
- BUSINESS: Telaleaf Health Inc. Announces Partnership With Franjo Grotenhermen, M.D. To Deliver Expert-Led Virtual Medical Cannabis Care Across Germany
- Kasual, a Craigslist Personals Alternative App offers enhanced safety features for casual dating