It sounds like George R. R. Martin isn’t as involved in Elden Ring’s development as you might think.
Had it not leaked ahead of time, the news that George R. R. Martin is working with FromSoftware on its next project would have been one of the all-time best surprises in games. But since Elden Ring was officially revealed, and we learned what role he played in its development, we haven’t really heard anything from the author about his work on the game.
Martin recently spoke to local news station WTTW during a trip to receive an honorary doctorate from his old school, Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism. In the interview, the author was asked about Elden Ring, and he seems to have been keeping up with its recent release date news.
He revealed that his involvement with the project actually ended years ago. Since then, FromSoftware has been sharing development progress with him, showing new monster designs and the like.
“Actually, it’s considerably different,” Martin said about game development compared to his normal line of work. “My work on it was actually done years ago. These games, they’re like movies. They take a long time to develop,” he added.
Martin also explained the type of work he actually did for the game, and it sounds like it was very hands-off.
“Basically they wanted a world created to set the game in. They wanted worldbuilding, as a big factor in fantasy and science fiction,” he explained.
“You’re not only talking about the characters and the plot, the setting is almost as important as everything else. I worked up a fairly detailed background for them, and then they took it from there.
“Really, it’s been several years since I’ve last seen them, but they would come in periodically and show me some monsters they’d designed or the latest special effects. The game has been very slowly developing and now it’s coming out in January. I’ll be as excited as anybody else to see it.”
We recently learned quite a bit about Elden Ring from a number of interviews conducted with director Hidetaka Miyazaki, including lore, exploration, co-op, gameplay and more besides.
Elden Ring releases January 21 on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
Battlefield 2024 has already attracted millions of players after its full release on November 19, but the multiplayer-only Battlefield title has also received a large number of negative reviews on Steam, currently sporting a “mostly negative” review score on the platform. Fans have expressed disappointment with a buggy launch and lack of legacy features, but…
Seamus Blackley, the father of the Xbox who is now better known for baking ancient bread, has shared a message ahead of the 20th anniversary of Xbox.Posting on Twitter, Blackley said said the team who helped design and release the Xbox only are owed about 40% of the credit for the success of the console.…
Anyone having a problem getting a new graphics card, car, household appliance, or any other modern piece of tech won’t have much better luck any time soon. Speaking to Yahoo Finance, CEO Jensen Huang signaled that he expects the chip shortage to last well through 2022.”I think that through the next year,” Huang said, “demand…
SummaryPre-load early so you’re ready to play right when Call of Duty: Vanguard launches on November 5.Prepare to deploy in a globetrotting Campaign, experience signature Call of Duty combat in Multiplayer, and face the undead horde in Zombies.Get news on Shipment coming in November, plus a look at Season One and Caldera, the Call of…
Welcome to Next Week on Xbox! Here we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Windows PC as well as upcoming Xbox Game Pass and soon-to-be released [email protected] games! Get more details on these games below and click their profiles for pre-order details when available (release dates are…
Most Popular Articles on dWeb.News
- TECH NEWS: ‘Creativity needs energy’: Why a TBWANEBOKO exec believes a return to the office will save agency culture
- Sports: Veteran MMA fighter Kyle Reyes dead at 30; Xtreme Couture and beyond mourns
- Paris to Berlin in an hour by train? Here’s how it could happen.
- BUSINESS: First Watch Restaurant Group, Inc. Announces Pricing Of Initial Public Offering
- Kasual, a Craigslist Personals Alternative App offers enhanced safety features for casual dating
- Nocturnal dinosaurs: Night vision and superb hearing in a small theropod suggest it was a moonlight predator
- CANADA NEWS: Tyler Joe Miller, Canada’s next big country singer is the winner of SiriusXM’s Top of the Country award and $25,000
- FRANCE NEWS: Nigeria-France: Prince Arthur Eze sold land to TotalEnergies, Anambra – The Africa Report
- Abuse Survivor Jordan Turpin On How Justin Bieber Inspired Her To Escape Her 'house Of Horror' – Yahoo Entertainment
- BUSINESS: Telaleaf Health Inc. Announces Partnership With Franjo Grotenhermen, M.D. To Deliver Expert-Led Virtual Medical Cannabis Care Across Germany