One of our Reality Labs Research teams is focused on inventing the future of interaction in augmented and virtual reality. The team’s goal: To solve the central challenge of the metaverse, how can we touch the virtual reality?
Imagine working on a virtual 3D puzzle with a friend’s realistic 3D avatar. As you pick up a virtual puzzle piece from the table, your fingers automatically stop moving as you feel it within your grasp. As you grip the piece of cardboard, you feel its edges and smoothness. Then you feel a satisfying snap when you place it in its proper place.
To enable this experience and bring touch to the metaverse, the team is developing haptic gloves: comfortable and customizable gloves that can reproduce a range of sensations in virtual worlds, including texture, pressure and vibration. While we’re still in the early stages of this research, the goal is to one day pair the gloves with your VR headset for an immersive experience like playing in a concert or poker game in the metaverse, and eventually they’d work with your AR glasses.
Pioneering New Scientific Domains with Haptic Glove Research
Building these gloves is a challenge that requires inventing entirely new domains of scientific research. The team has made haptic gloves a reality over the past seven years by pushing human-computer interaction forward in dozens of fields. Here are a few examples:
- Perceptual Science: Because current technology can’t fully recreate the physics of the real world in VR, we’re exploring the idea of combining auditory, visual and haptic feedback for things like convincing a wearer’s perceptual system that it’s feeling an object’s weight.
- Soft robotics: Existing mechanical actuators create too much heat for such a glove to be worn comfortably all day. We are creating soft actuators, tiny motors that move together to provide sensation to the glove’s wearer.
- Microfluidics: We’re developing the world’s first high-speed microfluidic processor — a small microfluidic chip that controls the air flow that moves the actuators. Air (a fluid) allows us to fit more actuators onto the glove than with electronic circuitry.
- Hand tracking: Even with a way to control air flow, the system needs to know when and where to deliver the right sensations. Advanced hand-tracking technology is being developed by us to allow it to pinpoint where your hand is within a virtual scene. It can also determine whether your hand is in direct contact with an object, and how your hand interacts with the object.
- Haptic rendering: Our haptic renderer sends precise instructions to the actuators on the hand, based on an understanding of things like the hand’s location and properties of the virtual objects (such as texture, weight and stiffness) that the hand comes in contact with.
Our haptic glove project started as a moonshot, but it’s increasingly feasible as we continue to innovate and complete research. We’ve developed new technologies, techniques and disciplines over the past seven years. This has allowed us to push the limits of soft robotics, invent new materials, and create new manufacturing processes. Moving each of these research areas forward requires time to get the technology right, so while our haptic glove research will remain in the lab for now, we’re excited about the progress we’ve made and the potential it shows for a virtual world you can touch.
Learn more about our haptic glove project.
For More dWeb.News Social Media News https://dweb.news/news-sections/social-media-news/
In the role of Judas in the traveling Broadway show “Jesus Christ Superstar,” James Beeks’s onstage career was about to take off. Beeks, whose stage name is James T. Justis, was lauded for his role as the disciple who betrayed Jesus.But it was his side job as a Michael Jackson impersonator that unintentionally brought about…
Brian Laundrie shot himself in head, family attorney confirmsGabby Petito’s fiance, Brian Laundrie, shot himself in the head, autopsy results show.Laundrie had been the subject of a manhunt for more than a month as investigators searched for clues in the death of Ms Petito during their cross-country van trip together.The Laundrie family’s lawyer Steven Bertolino…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiPMVB6Vdc4 Oakland News Now – Special Session: Nevada Lawmakers create committees on redistricting – video made by the YouTube channel with the logo in the video’s upper left hand corner. OaklandNewsNow.com is the original blog post for this type of video-blog content. Special Session: Nevada Lawmakers create committees on redistricting.via IFTTTNote from Zennie62Media and OaklandNewsNow.com…
This is the weekly edition of CNN’s coronavirus newsletter. Look out for your roundup every Wednesday. If you haven’t subscribed yet, sign up here. (CNN)Europe could suffer another 700,000 Covid-19 deaths by March, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.It’s the latest in a series of dire warnings for the region, which is in the…
Arlington, TX, Nov. 23, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Triller Fight Club have announced the addition of Nick Cannon, beloved comedian, rapper, actor and television host of the red-hot Masked Singer TV series. Fans know his work from America’s Got Talent, the Nick Cannon Show and his popular Wild ‘N Out series. Mr. Cannon will serve as…
Most Popular Articles on dWeb.News
- ASIA NEWS: The Hong Kong Institute of Directors hosts an Annual Dinner and Presentation Ceremony to Present the Directors of The Year Awards
- FOOD SAFETY: USDA issues a public alert about salame sticks linked to Salmonella outbreak
- ASIA NEWS: Opportunities for carbon reduction and Broad Homes’ potential growth
- FRONT PAGE: A Los Angeles Woman Invited An Afghan Refugee Family Over For Thanksgiving. Here's What Happened At Their First Thanksgiving Meal – CNN
- WHITE HOUSE NEWS: President Biden Announces Key Nominations
- CRIME: Two Arrested In Los Angeles For Their Roles In Hospice Fraud Conspiracy
- Glitzkoin GTN Records 500% ROI, Announces Bounty Programme
- BUSINESS: ForFarmers N.V.: ForFarmers Decides To Start Share-Buyback Programme
- ISRAEL NEWS: A new study shows Arab teens are more suspicious of Jews than ever
- UFC NEWS: Referee Vyacheslav Kiselev Removed From UFC 267 Event After Questionable Officiating – ESPN